Time change, people change and so do situations but one thing is always constant and that’s the memories you have with people. You can never stop the flow of time but you can always have a glimpse of the past. Then who’s the gem of one’s life? Is it the memories? Now you are 22 weeks pregnant.
You are glowing darling! Every passing day is increasing your beauty. And for all these changes, thank your little one. Bright face, glowing skin and shiner hair are the pregnancy signs. Take a deep breath and believe that you have entered the 22nd week of pregnancy.
Watch the comprehensive video on the 22-weeks pregnancy!
22 Weeks Pregnant
- Length: 27.8 centimeter
- Weight: 430 grams
- The respiratory system of the baby is under construction. His lungs are undergoing fast development. They will soon synthesize a protein called surfactant which the baby uses for his independent breathing after his arrival in the world.
Symptoms – 22 weeks pregnant
Increased vaginal discharge
There is an increase in vaginal discharge due to an increase in blood supply in the abdomen. In case of coloured discharge contact your doctor immediately.
Backache problems occur because of increase in weight. You’ll get relief from backaches by taking a bath with warm water.
You’ll find that your hairs are growing faster. It’s not only concerned with hair on the head but also with abdominal hair.
Swollen limbs & feet
You’ll find that your hand and feet have swollen and it is caused due to an increase in fluid content in your body. Minor swelling is quite normal. The swellings will go off once your baby is born. While sudden swelling isn’t normal as it might be a sign of preeclampsia.
Difficulty in breathing
You may feel difficulty in breathing. It is because of increased blood supply in your abdomen. Also, because you are sharing the inhaled oxygen with your baby. So with the decrease in oxygen level in your body, you may feel dizzy.
They are caused because of the stretching of your womb to provide space for baby’s proper growth and development. These marks are temporary and will fade away after parturition.
What is parturition?
It is the process by which fetus is ejected out of the mother’s body. It is characterized by contractions of fetus and placenta. Due to such contractions, the pituitary gland secretes hormone oxytocin. Oxytocin is responsible for an increase in the uterine contractions known as labour pains. Because of these contractions birth of your baby takes place.
Growing belly – 22 weeks pregnant
By week 22 your belly will measure 20-24 centimeters from pelvic bone which is called the fundal height. Doctors will advise you to have 300 calories a day and by this, they mean that you must have three meals: dinner, lunch, and breakfast along with snacks.
Ultrasound – 22 weeks pregnant
- This is the week of your mid-pregnancy ultrasound. You’ll have a glimpse of baby’s vital organs and his limbs.
- Eyes and lips of the baby are developed completely. Now, he is looking more like a newly born kiddy.
- His first canines and molars are developing below the gum line. Blood is travelling via the umbilical cord to provide him with all the necessary nutrients and oxygen for his proper development.
- His liver and spleen are functional by now. The spleen is busy making up fetal red blood cells. The liver is busy dealing with bilirubin. Your liver manages the excess bilirubin as your baby’s liver is not completely functional.
- At times bilirubin is accumulated in the body of the infant due to improper functioning of the liver. This causes jaundice in infants.
What is jaundice?
It is a gastrointestinal disorder in which the liver fails to remove bilirubin from bloodstream which results in its accumulation in the body. Jaundice causes yellowing of skin and eyes. Mild jaundice is often treated with phototherapy.
Diet to follow – 22 weeks pregnant
- It is important to have cholesterol in your diet as it maintains placenta. Low level of cholesterol in the female’s body during pregnancy causes premature labour pains and results in the birth of a low weight baby.
- To avoid constipation try steamed sprout salad and curd rice.
Things to muse upon
Hope you have decided upon your baby’s name. A baby shower is a pleasurable moment in a woman’s life, plan and enjoy it with your friends and family. Avoid tight clothes as you may feel uncomfortable and try to put on light makeup as soon-to-be-momma you are already glowing!
Checklist – 22 weeks pregnant
- Get the registry done for your baby shower.
- Don’t take over the counter medicines. You should always consult your doctor before taking these medicines.
- Hire a maternity photographer.
Of course, it is your memories which are the gems of one’s life! Memories remind you of the good time you had in your past. I suppose you are adding some beautiful memories of your life during your pregnancy time. Have a good time and make every moment up to the mark!
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.