Aloo Puri, commonly known as Puri Bhaji is a super delicious and a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe. It is usually made on some important occasions too like during puja at home etc. The aloo ki sabji is served with piping hot puri. The aloo sabji is a spicy curry with small pieces of boiled potatoes in it. Aloo puri is very popular in many states of India. Try this quick and easy recipe and share your feedback.
Detailed Aloo Puri recipe is below
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
Skill Level: Easy
Ingredients for Aloo Puri recipe
To make the Bhaji
- 3 medium size potatoes peeled and cubed in bite size, about 2 cups of cubed potato
- 1-1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (saunf) crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (Hara dhania) finely chopped
To make the puri
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sooji (semolina)
- 1/8 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- Oil for frying
Preparation Of Aloo Puri recipe
To prepare Aloo Bhaji
- In a small bowl, mix the coriander, fennel seeds, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, ginger, and green chilli with about 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. As cumin seeds crack, add spice mix and stir-fry for about 15 seconds.
- Now add the potatoes and mix with spices. Keep the heat to low/medium. Cover the pan and let it cook for about three to four minutes stirring once in between.
- Add about 1-1/2 cups of water and change the heat to medium-high heat. As potatoes come to boil cover the pan and lower the heat to medium and let it cook for about eight minutes.
- Mix the potatoes and mash some potatoes. As mashing the potatoes thickness the gravy. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking; gravy will thicken as it will cool. Add mango powder, garam masala and coriander leaves. Mix it well turn off the heat and cover the pan. Aloo is ready to be served hot with puris.
To prepare the Puri
- In a bowl mix whole-wheat flour, sooji, carom seeds, and salt. Add water as needed to make a firm dough.
- Oil your palm and knead the dough until it is pliable. Dough for puri should be firm but smooth. Set the dough aside and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes or longer.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts. Take a couple of drops of oil on your palm and roll the dough in balls and press it between your palms. Roll the dough into about 5-inch diameter. If the dough is sticking to the rolling pin or rolling surface, put a couple of drops of oil on the rolling pin and a couple of drops of oil on the surface.
- You can roll 4 to 5 purees before you start frying, but do not roll all the puris at once or they will begin to dry and not puff. Heat about one inch of oil in frying pan on medium-high heat. To check if oil is hot enough place a small piece of dough in oil and dough should float to the top right away.
- Place the puri in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer, puri should puff right away.
- Turn puri over. Puri should be light creamy brown from both sides. Take the puri out and place it on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve puri with Aloo. You can store the Puri in a covered container after they cool to room temperature.
- Delicious Aloo Puri is ready!
- Adjust the consistency of the aloo bhaji as per your taste. But make sure to adjust the spices accordingly.
- The gravy becomes thick after cooling so make sure you have added the right amount of water.
- The puri dough must be stiff but smooth.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Products from Amazon.in
MACHAK Designer Multipurpose Revolving Plastic Spice Rack 16 Piece Condiment Set - Siver Finish, ClearPrice: INR 824.00Was: INR 1,499.00
Price: INR 399.00Was: INR 425.00
Price: INR 324.00Was: INR 999.00
Price: INR 220.00Was: INR 599.00
Price: INR 410.00Was: INR 425.00