It is a wonderful feeling to have two little babies at once! There has long been a fascination with twins and multiple births, and many couples would appreciate the possibility to welcome twins into the world. If you desire for twins, then you may be wondering if there is anything you can do to upsurge your possibilities of conceiving multiples.
Factors that increase your chances of having twins
What are twins?
Most of us are aware of the concept of twins – when two babies are born at once – but only a few of us actually know how twins develop. Generally, a woman releases only one egg from her ovaries during ovulation. This egg is then fertilized by one sperm from her partner, and this forms an embryo. This embryo then continually divides until a baby is formed. On the other hand, when there is a change in the regular process of fertilization or division, the twins develop. Twins can be of two types:
- Identical twins form when there is an alteration in the consistent process of embryo division.
- If the embryo splits into two after fertilization, identical twins are created. Hence, they share 100% of their DNA, which implies that they will share the same sex and appearance.
- Identical twins are also called monozygotic twins.
- Sometimes it happens that instead of one egg, a woman releases two eggs from her ovaries.
- When these eggs are fertilized by two dissimilar sperm, two fetuses develop. These are known as fraternal twins.
- Unlike identical twins, the fraternal twin share 50% of their DNA. And it is not necessary that they look similar in appearance.
- Fraternal twins sometimes referred to as dizygotic twins and can be of the opposite sex.
How common are twins?
Factors affecting the chances of having twins
There are numerous ways that you can go about trying to have twins, but, as with anything, there are no guarantees. Let us see a few things you can do to help the lady luck along.
- The fertility drugs help to stimulate the ovaries. This increases your chances of releasing more than one egg during ovulation.
- If you have undergone an IVF (in vitro fertilization) treatment, you have a 20-40% chance of giving birth to more than one child. This, however, depends on the number of embryos.
- In the case of intrauterine insemination (IUI), in which a syringe is used to place the sperms in your uterus, there are chances of twins.
- This fertility treatment is the only one that does increase your chances of giving birth to multiple babies.
- There are many women who undergo IUI and take fertility drugs to increase their chances of having twins or more babies.
- Taking fertility drugs primarily increase a person’s odds of giving birth to fraternal twins (two eggs fertilized by two sperms).
- Also, there are pieces of evidence that women who undergo treatments like IVF have fairly higher chances of giving birth to identical twins.
Taking folic acid and supplement
If a woman takes folic acid before conceiving, they are more likely to get pregnant with twins. As folic acid helps in preventing neural tube defects, so taking folic acid is always a good idea even if you do not want to have twin babies.
Add some weight
Overweight women and tall women are more likely to give birth to twin babies.
Consuming dairy products
The women who consume dairy products, especially milk from hormone-treated cows, have almost five times higher chance of conceiving twins. Also, as per the same study, vegans have a less likelihood of conceiving twins.
If you conceive while breastfeeding, your possibility of conceiving twins is increased by nine folds. Hence, do not rush into weaning your little one just yet.
Try conceiving the moment you’ve stopped taking birth control pills
If you are on pills for the past six months and then you stop then your body will need almost two cycles to get back on track. This, in turn, sees you receive excess hormone stimulation. This afterwards causes the release of more than one egg increasing your chances of having more than one of them fertilized.
Eat wild yams
Wild yams hyper-stimulate your ovaries and this might cause the release of more than one egg when you ovulate.
Have a big family
The more times you conceive, the higher your possibility of conceiving twins is.
Conceive when you are older
Even though older women have low fertility rates, they are more likely to conceive twins. They have high levels of FSH which is the reason for the release of more than one egg.
If you can’t have twins, don’t worry you can have two children twice, you will have two children both ways. Don’t overthink. Just relax.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.