Choking usually happens when the airway is blocked and there are breathing issues. The information here is going to help parents deal with their choking babies.
Young babies choke usually more than babies because they end up putting small objects right in their mouth which can cause issues related to breathing. Therefore, as a parent, you have to act quicker when you find your baby choking. They will also get upset very quickly in such cases.
First aid for choking
The primary reason behind choking is when the airway is blocked partially or fully. Coughing can sometimes release the issue. The article here is going to help you deal with first aid for choking.
How to fix baby choking?
If you find your baby in a distressed zone, then they are choking. Another cause can be noisy breathing if they can’t cough or are not able to cry. Sometimes, when the cases are extreme, they will find it difficult to breathe or make any noise.
What to do?
First aid for choking shouldn’t be really given if there is no proper advice from the doctors. Here are some of the steps that will help you to deal with a choking baby.
Step 1: Slap it out
- Put your baby right on your thighs such that their face is down. Give a proper support to their head. Now, time to blow their backs. Give at least five blows in the back. The position for the blows should be between the blades of the shoulder using the heels of your hand.
- Make sure to give up to five blows in the back right between the blades of the shoulder using the heels of your hand.
Step 2: Check the mouth
- Put your baby on your thigh such that their thighs are facing up. Lay them on their back.
- If you see any object, use your fingertips to carefully pick them out.
Step 3: Squeeze it out
- The next step to follow would be to use the two fingers to give a total of five downward thrusts in the chest.
- Time to check your baby’s mouth. If you still find the obstruction, then time to call for medical advice as the situation might get out of control.
Step 4: Call emergency
- Carry your baby along with you and call for medical help on the emergency number.
- Keep repeating the above three steps till the help reaches out to you.
- Make sure you keep checking their breathing and the airway is opened. Do this if you find the baby unresponsive at any stage.
- In case you sense that they are not breathing, go ahead with CPR.
These are the steps on how you should deal with a baby who is choking. There is no such first aid for choking that you can use. You have to help your baby manually for them to get their senses back.
If there is any other topic you have a doubt about, You can always ask our experts!
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.