The kids’ faces a lot of trouble which they aren’t able to say directly. For every problem, we can’t rush to the doctor as the medicines may affect the health of the kid in long term. Hence one must prefer home remedies for kids troubles. The following article is about home remedies for kids troubles as well as home remedies for breathing problems symptoms, child indigestion symptoms, baby indigestion natural remedy and home remedies for a cough in toddlers. See the developmental milestones of a child here.
Home remedies for kids troubles
Breathing problems symptoms
The common symptoms of breathing problem in children include:
A runny nose, blocked nose and sneezing. These symptoms are often caused by a cold or an allergy.
- A cough:
- Most coughs are cured within a few days and are mostly caused by a viral infection.
- Sometimes the cough may remain for a few weeks after the infection is cured but there are no other symptoms and this is also harmless.
- If a cough gets really bad, then there might be severe breathing problems or other more serious cause.
- A cough may be caused due to reasons such as croup, bronchiolitis or a whooping cough. These often cause a particular type of cough.
- A cough that won’t go away can be caused due to asthma or another long-term condition such as cystic fibrosis.
- Colored mucus: yellow, green or brown mucus usually means there is a respiratory tract infection. One must prefer home remedies for kids troubles instead of opting for medicines.
- A high temperature (fever): This can be a sign of infection. High temperature can sometimes make the child irritable or drowsy.
- Wheezing: This is a loud sound that comes from the chest when your child is breathing out. This is most often effect which is caused by respiratory infections or asthma.
- Aches and pains: children with respiratory tract infections often complain of aches and pains in their arms and legs and they often experience a headache.
Home remedies for breathing problems symptoms
One must first try all the possible home remedies for breathing problems symptoms or home remedies for kids troubles before visiting a doctor. Following are some of the home remedies for breathing problems symptoms:
This is one of the simplest home remedies for breathing problems symptoms to control shortness of breath. It helps to quickly slow the pace of breathing, which makes each breath deeper and more effective. It also helps release air which is trapped in your lungs. It can be used any time when the child is experiencing shortness of breath, especially during the activities such as bending, lifting objects, or climbing stairs and is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for kids troubles.
To perform pursed-lip breathing:
- Relax the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Slowly breath in through the nose for two counts, keeping the mouth closed.
- Purse your lips as if you’re about to whistle.
- Breathe out slowly and gently through your pursed lips to the count of four.
Resting while sitting can help relax the body and make breathing easier:
- Sit on a chair with the feet flat on the floor, leaning your chest slightly forward.
- Gently rest the elbows on your knees or else hold your chin with your hands. One must remember to keep your neck and shoulder muscles relaxed throughout the process.
Sitting forward supported by a table
If you have both a chair and table near you, then this will be a slightly more comfortable sitting position to catch your breath as it is considered beneficial home remedies for kids troubles.
- Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor, facing a table.
- Lean your chest slightly forward and rest your arms on the table.
- Place your head on your forearms or on a pillow.
Standing with supported back
Standing with supported back can also help relax your body and airways.
- Stand near a wall, facing away, and rest your hips on the wall.
- Keep your feet shoulder width apart and rest your hands on your thighs.
- With your shoulders relaxed, lean slightly forward, and dangle your arms in front of you.
- Sleeping in a relaxed position
- Some people also experience shortness of breath while they sleep. This can lead to waking up frequently, which can affect the quality and duration of your sleep.
Try lying on your side with a pillow between your legs and your head elevated by pillows, keeping your back straight. Or one must also try to lie on their back with their head elevated and knees bent, with a pillow under your knees.
Diaphragmatic breathing can also help to cure the shortness of breath. To try this breathing style:
- Sit on a chair with bent knees and relaxed shoulders, head, and neck.
- Place your hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose until you feel your belly moving under your hand.
- As you exhale, tighten your muscles and should feel your belly fall inward. Breathe out through your mouth with pursed lips.
- Put more emphasis on the exhale than the inhale. Start exhaling for longer than usual before slowly inhaling again.
- Repeat for about five minutes.
A study shows that caffeine relaxes the muscles in the airways of people with asthma. This can help in improving lung function for up to four hours. It is one of the easiest home remedies for breathing problems symptoms as well as easiest home remedies for kids’ troubles.
Child indigestion symptoms
Following are some of the child indigestion symptoms which may let the parents know what remedy is to be applied.
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid indigestion or heartburn
- Acidic taste on the tongue
- Stomach discomfort
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Decreased appetite
- Inability to feed properly
- General congestion
- Difficulty in breathing
Baby indigestion natural remedy
The babies aren’t able to express their problems of indigestion. Hence one needs to know what is wrong with the baby. Sometimes indigestion affects a baby a lot for which many mothers use baby indigestion natural remedy first, instead of rushing to doctor. Some of the baby indigestion natural remedy are:
- One of the best ways to help a little baby’s indigestion is to make him burp correctly. Burping is highly suggested by doctors after every couple of minutes of feeding, to help the milk settle and to relieve any excess air. It is normal for newborns to spit out the milk as they burp. It is considered a good and effective baby indigestion natural remedy and also easy home remedies for kids troubles.
- If the baby’s particularly fussy and is refusing to settle down, holding the baby upright for a while may also help. Holding babies in an upright position for 30 minutes after feeding is recommended by many professionals, and some even suggest letting baby sleep in this position.
- In many cases, a glass of milk helps especially in case of mild indigestion. If your child is above the age of 1, a glass of chilled cow’s milk can help, as long as you’re sure he’s not lactose intolerant. This is easiest home remedies for kids troubles.
- Many parents resort to gripe water for any stomach trouble in their babies, but store-bought gripe water might not be safe for kids. You can prepare gripe water at home using fennel, ginger, and chamomile.
Home remedies for a cough in toddlers
The parents must know some of the home remedies for a cough in toddlers so as they can provide initial help to the child before giving them medicines. Following are some of the home remedies for a cough in toddlers:
Perhaps the most common and simple home remedies for a cough in toddlers, this method provides relief from a cough is gargling with warm water. It is best suggested by doctors to gargle at least three times in a day and adding a teaspoon of salt into the gargling water is also suggested as it will provide relief from a sore throat and is considered home remedies for kids troubles.
Honey is known to have anti-microbial agents that help the body to fight against cold. The sweet taste of honey enhances the saliva production which in turn helps in thinning mucus. The ideal way to consume honey is to mix one tablespoon of honey in hot water and squeeze the fresh lemon juice in it. There are a lot of other ingredients that use honey to make ideal syrup for treating cough.
Ginger is one of the excellent home remedies for a cough in toddlers and also for fighting against the cold as it is known to have anti-viral properties. There are many lozenges available which are ginger based, but it is best to consume ginger directly rather than doing it via lozenges. You can mix honey to counter the strong taste of ginger when you give this to your child.
Apple cider vinegar
Known for its antibacterial properties which can kill pathogens in the body, apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective home remedies for a cough in toddlers. Apple cider vinegar can also be mixed with crushed ginger to cure a cough. Also, the smell of vinegar is considered to soothe a sore throat, and this can be used to bring comfort to the child.
Lemon helps improve the immune system in the human body as it has therapeutic properties to fight sickness. Lemon is usually considered as medicines that help cure a sore throat and cough. This is considered one of the best home remedies for a cough in toddlers.
As mentioned above, honey mixed with lemon juice makes an ideal cough syrup. You can also give your child to suck a lemon slice for relief from a cough.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.