If you are a brand-new mother, how to swaddle a baby can turn out to be a real struggle for you. As easy as it is for nurses and midwives, it seems 100x times tougher to do when you actually have to do it.
But with time, you will surely learn the different ways to swaddle a baby to it and understand how to swaddle a baby tight. Well, this segment, apart from telling you how to swaddle a baby will also give you a step by step baby swaddling and even the pros and cons of a swaddle. So, keep reading.
How to swaddle a baby – Basics!
Swaddling is one of the best techniques that there is to help a baby calm down and prepare for their sleep. Swaddling allows you to wrap your baby in one of the finest swaddle clothes or blanket that helps in maintaining the support and safety of your baby.
Advantages of swaddling
Babies have reflex also known as Moro reflex because of which they can easily wake up from their peaceful sleep. Hence, if their arms are bound, it will not only prevent the reflex from happening but will also not let them wake up.
With swaddling, your newborn is reminded of the comfort they experienced while they were inside the womb. Alongside, swaddling your baby also helps you to save them from the effects of scratches. All of this will help the baby to calm down and sleep in a peaceful manner.
Different ways to swaddle a baby
Well, not everyone knows the different ways to swaddle a baby. The diamond technique is the primary technique used by many. Here are three different ways to swaddle a baby.
Here is a step by step baby swaddling when you are trying out the diamond style.
- Put a blanket on a place which is safe for the baby in a diamond position. The top-most corner has to be 4-6 inches down and folded as in the image.
- Lay your baby on their back within the blanket’s centre.
- Pull off the left side of the blanket and have it tucked under the baby. Make sure that your baby’s hips are loose. Also, never pull down their legs as it might cause hip dysplasia.
Square or Quick Swaddle
Here is a step by step baby swaddling when you are trying out the square or quick swaddle.
- Put a blanket on a place which is safe for the baby in a square position. The top-most corner has to be 4-6 inches down and folded as in the image.
- Lay your baby on their back and ensure that the neck is over the fold. Make sure to place the baby diagonally.
- Pull off the right side of the blanket and have it tucked under the baby. Make sure that your baby’s hips are loose.
- Now, time to pull the left side and tuck it inside the baby or under.
- Finally, take the bottom and tuck it behind the baby and you are perfect to go.
Sleep sack swaddle
Here is a step by step baby swaddling when you are trying out the sleep sack swaddle. This is yet another simplest swaddle method.
- Take and put your baby inside a sack sleep just like it happens in a onesie or footie.
- Zip up the sleep sack.
- Wrap it up and Velcro.
The steps might vary depending on the products you are using.
Step by step baby swaddling
Well, you already had the gist of the different ways to swaddle a baby. Here is a universal step by step baby swaddling.
- Step 1: Make a diamond shape out of the swaddle and place your baby on its back right in the centre. Make sure that the shoulders are not below but above the fold.
- Step 2: Now, swaddle a baby with arms out right along with their body. Take the exact same portion of the swaddle and have it over the arm and chest across your baby. Leave their left arm free.
- Step 3: Time to fold down the bottom of the swaddle right over the feet of the baby. Tuck the cloth right on the swaddle top.
- Step 4: Take the left arm of the baby and put it along the body. Now, pull off the remaining swaddle and wrap the chest and arm of the baby. Tuck the fabric in order to offer security.
When should you stop swaddling?
Well, for babies, swaddling is a comfort and most mothers do it so that they feel the space they had while they were in the womb.
There are pros and cons of swaddle like sometimes when the swaddle is tight, it might put them to itch. So, you need to take care of it. Also, you must know the right time as to when must you stop swaddling.
Babies know their comfort and either by making a fuss or with a fight, they will make their way right out of the swaddle. This will also tell you that now is the time they need a sleeping bag or a sleep sack. This point usually comes when your baby is within the age group of three to six months. When you see your baby is rolling over, swaddling is not recommended during the time.
Well, how to swaddle a baby tight is a real struggle and fighting it off is the best thing that you as a mama can do. For swaddling, babies tend to have different clothes too. So, in case you feel like it, you can go ahead and buy a pair for them.
Mastering to swaddle a baby with arms out will take time but will happen eventually. The wearable blanket also helps many mamas to carry out their baby sleeping process. That was all the knowledge about the different ways to swaddle a baby and the pros and cons of a swaddle.
Make sure to do it the right way or you can always visit here to learn the step by step baby swaddling.
“Enjoy your path to mom, Relish every moment”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.