Motherhood is a blessing that every woman desires for. Nine months of pregnancy are the most beautiful nine months of a woman’s life. However, the journey from conception to giving birth is not an easy one. It is after baby’s birth that the effects of pregnancy start impacting mother’s body. A new mother’s body doesn’t just become weak but also goes out of shape. Apart from healthy and nutritious diet, a new mother’s body also requires regular postnatal exercise which helps in strengthening the body as well as brings it in shape.
You cannot and should even not do the exercise of any type that you feel like as it could cause more harm than being beneficial. Special exercises called postnatal exercises or postpartum exercises are prescribed to new mothers. In this article, we’ll give you information on some of the most basic and simple postnatal exercises which you can try out.
Note: Always consult your doctor before starting any type of postpartum workout and you should stop the workout immediately if you feel uncomfortable or uneasy during the workout.
Postnatal exercises (beginner’s postpartum workout)
Postnatal exercise for the abdomen
This exercise helps in toning the abdominal muscles. It can be done in any posture, lying down, standing or sitting. Below are the steps to follow:
- Lie down flat on your back or you may stand or sit on a chair. Whichever way, the position should be straight.
- Now breathe in and out lightly. Make sure that you take deep breaths. However, don’t exert pressure on yourself.
- When you breathe in, draw your belly towards the spine and hold it there for the count of five.
- Breathe out slowly after the count of five.
- Repeat this at least ten times and relax for a couple of mins and repeat the set.
- Repetition of sets can start from 3 to 5 to 10, whatever you are comfortable with.
Note: Make sure that your muscles have healed before you start any abdominal exercises
Postnatal exercise for pelvic
This postpartum exercise is meant for pelvic area. Follow the below steps for this exercise:
- Lie down on the floor straight on your back with your knees bent and feet touching the floor.
- Place both your hands on the sides palms down in a relaxed position.
- Now lift your waist and stay in this position for the count of five.
- Bring down your back on the floor after the count of five and relax for a few seconds.
- Repeat it in the sets of 3, 5 or 10 as per your comfort.
Postnatal workout for back muscles
This post pregnancy exercise helps in strengthening the back and back muscles. Following are the steps:
- Sit on the floor with your arms stretched behind your body resting on the floor on your palms supporting your torso.
- Next, bend your knees so much that your feet touch the floor completely.
- Now drop your knees to one side and the other in turns for at least 10 times.
- Your back will start stretching making you feel relaxed.
Postnatal workout for your waist
This particular exercise helps in stretching and toning your waist. Below are the steps for this exercise:
- Stand with your feet separated at shoulder width.
- First, rest your left hand on the left side of your waist and raise your right hand straight above your head.
- Now bend your right hand over your head and the whole upper body towards your left side. Bend at three to five times.
- Repeat this on the right side now. This can be done five to ten times.
Postnatal exercise for your legs
This exercise is meant for your legs and helps in stretching and toning them up. Following are the steps:
- Lie down straight on your back. Bend your knees so much that your feet touch the floor.
- Put your left foot above the right knee in such a way that your left ankle joint rests on the right knee.
- Now slowly bend and elevate your body repeating it at least 4 to 5 times.
- Repeat this 4 to 5 times changing your leg positions.
Some more Postpartum exercises
- Few gym exercises (with the help of an instructor)
Benefits of post-pregnancy workout
- It lifts up your mood.
- Heals your body and removes body ache.
- It makes your body flexible.
- You can sleep better.
- Reduces stress.
- Increases your energy level.
- It helps to strengthen abdominal muscles.
Things to keep in mind while doing postnatal exercises
- It is important that bleeding has stopped completely before you start your postpartum workout which takes around six to seven weeks.
- Drink plenty of water after delivery.
- Take proper rest as exercising makes you tired.
- Try to avoid junk food.
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Eat protein rich food such as fish, eggs, milk etc.
- Avoid Caffeine.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.