Postpartum psychosis, is also known as postnatal psychosis, is a mental illness that afflicts young mothers immediately after the birth of a child. This surfaces with the onset of various psychotic symptoms like hallucinations and extreme mood swings for which the person would need immediate psychotic hospitalization. However, it is less common than, and different from baby blues and postnatal depression but certainly more severe.
Symptoms of postpartum psychosis
When you will read the list below, keep in mind you may not be experiencing all of the symptoms below or even most of them. Your experience may be focused on just a few of the following symptoms, and you may not have others at all. Also, as with any postpartum illness, this can occur after childbirth, miscarriage, or other perinatal loss.
You may have postpartum psychosis or postpartum post delivery psychosis or postnatal psychosis or postpartum depression with psychotic features if you have had a baby within the last 12 months and are experiencing some of these symptoms. You
- feel more energetic
- feel you understand everything
- keep hearing or seeing things that no one else
- believe that you can’t trust people or become suspicious of your family and friends
- believe you are suddenly unique and special in some way
- cannot remember how to do things you knew how to do
- unable to focus on reading
- feel like you are losing track of time. Time seems to speed up or very slowed down
- have strong sensations
- getting into conflict with those around you
- feel like controlled by some outside force
- don’t like what is happening with you and are scared till death
People who care about you think there is something wrong with you or say that you are angry or sad, acting strange or weird. They notice that you are different.
Causes of Postpartum psychosis
This mental illness called post-traumatic psychosis comes uninvited without the slightest hint. Postpartum psychosis is not anyone’s fault. However, there is no one responsible for it or no one can say what is the real cause of the illness; it may be one of the following:
Genetically transmitted disease
This disease is genetically transmitted through mother, sister or close relative. The illness is most common in first-time mothers.
Women, who have been afflicted with this illness during a previous delivery, also stand at a high risk of a relapse during their next childbirth.
Changes in hormone levels
The changes in hormone levels or sleeping patterns could be another reason.
Treatment of Postpartum psychosis
Women with postpartum psychosis should immediately seek psychiatric attention with their partners and family.
Severe symptoms could require antipsychotic drugs and mood stabilizers for which hospitalization is required.
Many times the mother and the child are put together in the hospital where the mother is assisted in taking care of the child along with taking treatment.
However, the doctors don’t recommend breastfeeding in extreme cases of severe medication. It is for the safety and good health of the baby. In such cases, the families and the spouse play a crucial role in helping them to get better.
Constant communication with psychiatric doctors and nurses these problems would not last long.
Prevention is better than cure in Postpartum psychosis
- One can prevent the postpartum psychosis even before its occurrence.
- The general psychiatrist guides the woman about the affliction and its symptoms when planning the pregnancies. The psychiatrist meets with the would-be mother, her husband, and her family so that everyone understands its consequences.
- The nurses, psychiatrists, and mental health nurses give specialized maternity care to such women during labour.
- The doctor gives the patient an emergency contact number to keep handy.
There are countless women who had postpartum psychosis or post-delivery psychosis or postnatal psychosis or postpartum depression and recovered 100%. So, just follow these steps and be free from postpartum psychosis.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 929.00Was: INR 1,299.00
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: INR 998.00Was: INR 1,996.00
Price: INR 998.00Was: INR 1,996.00
Price: INR 479.00Was: INR 675.00
OBLIQ Abdomen Support Belt for Post Pregnancy, Tummy/Waist Trimmer, Weight Loss Binder (Medium(32-36 Inches))Price: INR 599.00Was: INR 999.00