Broken wheat vegetable Upma commonly known as Dalia Upma is a delight. It’s an easiest and no frill recipe to make when you are tired and don’t want to cook an elaborate meal.
Detailed Broken Wheat Upma Recipe is Below
Course: Breakfast, Snack, Starter
Skill Level: Easy
Ingredients for Broken Wheat Upma
To make Dalia Upma
- 1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
- ¼ cup moong dal (split yellow gram) washed, dried, roasted to the golden brown
- 1 onion, large, finely chopped
- 2 green chilli, slit
- 1-inch ginger piece, finely grated
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (beans, carrots, capsicum)
- ¼ cup fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon urad dal
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
Preparation of Broken Wheat Upma
To cook Dalia Upma
- Roast the cleaned and broken wheat on medium flame until slightly warm.
- Roast the cleaned and dried Moong dal until it becomes light golden brown.
- In a small pressure cooker, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and allow to those to splutter. Now, add urad dal and curry leaves and sauté until the dal turns golden. Mix onions, ginger and green chillies and sauté until the onions turn brown. Add capsicum and sauté for 3 more minutes. Now, add other veggies and peas and give a quick stir.
- Add broken wheat and Moong dal and mix well. Mix water, salt, and turmeric powder. Bring it to a boil.
- Cover with lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot with chutney of your choice.
- One can add or remove vegetables as per own choice.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”