Besan Cheela is a tasty and savoury pancake made with gram flour(besan), spices and herbs, and grated veggies. It is very healthy and a quick and easy recipe too.
Detailed Besan Cheela Recipe is below
Course: Breakfast, Snack, Starter
Skill Level: Easy
Ingredients For Besan Cheela recipe
To make Besan ka Cheela
- 1 cup gram flour (Besan)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion (pyaaz or kanda)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (Hara dhaniya or kothmir)
- 1 small tomato finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes (tamatar)
- 1 small green chilli finely chopped or ½ to 2/3 teaspoon finely chopped green chillies (Hari Mirch).
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped or ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- ½ to 2/3 cup water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- oil as required
Preparation of Besan Cheela Recipe
To make Besan ka Cheela
- Take besan in a mixing bowl.
- Add onion, tomatoes, coriander leaves, ginger and green chillies.
- Now add the following spices: turmeric powder, carom seeds, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, and salt.
- Add water.
- With a wired whisk begin to mix everything. if the batter looks thick, then add 1-3 tablespoons more water. The recipe here required 2/3 cup of water.
- Heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. You can use an iron tawa or a nonstick pan. If using an iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa. Let the pan become medium hot. Then take a ladle full of the batter and pour it on the pan.
Gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter. Spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break. On a low flame cook the cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
- Then drizzle 1/2 to 1 tsp oil on the Cheela at the edges and all around. Continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
- Flip and now cook the other side. Cook this side till you see golden spots on the cheela. Fold and serve hot or warm. Besan Cheela’s are best if hot, but if you are not able to serve them hot, then place them in a casserole. They will remain warm this way and can be served later.
- Serve Besan Cheela’s plain or with any chutney of your choice.
- Always chop the vegetables finely because if chopped even in slightly large pieces, it becomes difficult to spread cheela in the pan.
- Depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”