What to do as a first aider?
There are a few roles that a first aider has to follow. They are handling the casualty, the situation, getting everyone out of danger, and from preventing infection. There are some responsibilities of a first aider that he/she should know.
Responsibilities of a first aider
First aid is usually given to the person who is injured or ill. It is given to save them and keep them safe until and unless medical help arrives or they are taken to a hospital for a proper treatment.
The primary role of a first aider is to provide the one who is suffering with the help he needs. They should use the first aid at home in case the situation is happening indoor. Otherwise, the safety insurance has to be done by the first aider only. The first aider also has to take care of the fact that the situation doesn’t worsens further and everyone around the area is safe, calm, and comfortable. Responsibilities of a first aider are quite simple and can be done with just little effort. He/she should atleast know basic first aid techniques.
One of the responsibilities of a first aider is the primary survey. The first aider has to remember the following DR ABC i.e.
- Danger: Before approaching, ensure that everything is safe around and only then you should proceed to help. In case of danger, call for emergency help.
- Response: Check if the victim is answering your “open your eyes”. If they are not responsive, quickly call for help. Move to airway if they respond.
- Airway: Check whether the airway is closed or open. If you find them giving a response, move to next step. If they don’t respond, clear the airway.
- Breathing: check the breathing condition of the patient and if they are breathing naturally. If not, call for medical help.
- Circulation: Look for signs that tell you they have been severely bleeding. Control it if you can, if not, then quickly call the doctor. Look for other major injuries as well.
[Also Read – First aid for kids]
What to do?
A first aider should :-
- Manage the situation effectively and should ensure that the bystanders are under safe environment.
- Find the cause of the person’s injury and the nature as well.
- Next step should involve calling for medical help or any sort of emergencies that you need to attend.
- If the training is proper, the casualties will depend entirely on medical assistance.
- Offer first aid treatment as per the training.
- Also, make some notes and observations regarding the casualties.
- When the medical help reaches, provide them the handover so that they can now about the situation and serve better.
- Fill out forms and do the needed paperwork.
The job of the first aider is to give immediate and lifesaver case before the medical assistance reaches out at the doorstep. Some of the processes include:
- Placing the person in the recovery position
- Performing CPR
- Using AED
- Using pressure to stop bleeding
- Keeping fractured limbs straight and still
Overall, the aim of the first aider is to save life. They should also look for recovery options and not let the situation go out of hand.
We hope all your doubts about responsibilities of a first aider are clear. You can always checkout our expert panel if you want ask something.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.