This is the fifth month of the most beautiful journey to motherhood. The fifth month of pregnancy gives you the surreal experience of feeling your child growing within you. By the end of this month, you could communicate with your little one and the baby responds with a movement or a kick.
Watch the comprehensive video on the 5-month pregnancy!
Fifth Month of Pregnancy
What to expect in the fifth month of pregnancy
In the fifth month of pregnancy, you will experience various symptoms mostly caused due to your ever-growing size. You may expect following in the fifth month of pregnancy.
Fatigue and breathlessness
Your ever-growing uterus would continuously be pushing your lungs and increased weight also causes breathlessness. Take frequent breaks from your activity and take small naps.
Food cravings and aversions
You would feel hungrier and have an increased appetite. Be careful of your diet during the fifth month of pregnancy and take healthy food at regular interval.
Mood swings are not so severe but still, apprehensions and fear for the baby and your ability to be a good parent are there. This is all hormonal and is natural so don’t worry.
Heartburn, indigestion, and constipation
Heartburn, indigestion, and constipation continue even during the fifth month of pregnancy. Avoid oily and spicy food and keep yourself hydrated.
With each passing week, your belly grows in size and you become rounder and rounder. Ligaments of the abdomen stretch and stretch marks become visible. With the ever-increasing belly, your center of gravity is changing. To avoid muscle strain in your back, maintain good posture.
Increased weight of the uterus compresses the sciatic nerve and causes pain in your legs. Do not stand for a long time and take frequent breaks and lie down and put your legs on a pillow. It would give relief from pain. Varicose veins may also appear.
Due to increased blood flow in your body, you might experience hot flashes even in the middle of the winter. You would feel the need for fresh air more often and your palms may have red lines.
Due to heat caused by increased blood flow, you might experience rashes in areas like underarms, groin and below the breast. Take showers to soothe rashes and these would ultimately disappear.
Your hair would become thick and lustrous and nails may also become stronger. You would start looking more beautiful with the famous pregnancy glow.
Development of the baby during the fifth month of pregnancy
The little one or your baby grows very fast and by the end of the fifth month of pregnancy, the baby is mostly developed and it shows movements like hand to mouth or mouth open in ultrasound.
The little sound of happiness
Length of the baby: around 13 inches long.
Weight of the baby: around 300 to 450 grams.
Baby development during the fourth month of pregnancy
- Baby grows very fast. The weight of the little one is almost doubled during the last 2 weeks of the fifth month of pregnancy.
- The hair on the baby’s head grows and baby’s neck, shoulders, and back are covered with soft and fine hair called Lanugo which protects the baby. These are shed by the end of baby’s first week after birth.
- Baby’s whole body is covered with a whitish, greasy coating called vernix caseosa. This protects baby’s skin from the amniotic fluid. This is shed just before birth.
- Baby’s legs look disproportionate to the rest of the body as they are longer and flexed at knees and ankles.
- Ossification of the bones starts and bones, fingernails, toenails also develop. Fingerprints are clearly formed.
- Baby’s primary and deciduous teeth start forming in the gums during the fifth month of the pregnancy.
- Nervous system starts functioning very well and the baby responds by making funny faces or kicking or moving its hands and legs. The baby also sucks its hand and even yawns.
- Kidneys also function efficiently and excrete urine in the amniotic fluid.
- Reproductive organs and genitalia develop. In case of the baby girl, millions of eggs or a lifetime supply of eggs are stored in the ovary. In case of a baby boy, testicles descend. The radiologist can now easily declare a baby’s sex by seeing the ultrasound report.
- Baby starts sleeping and waking in a schedule but it is usually more active when the mother is resting.
What to expect at the doctor’s office
The Ob/Gyn would conduct various tests during the fifth month of pregnancy.
- The doctor would record your blood pressure and your weight.
- A urine sample will be collected and checked for proteins, sugar, RBC and WBC count or any bacteria.
- Heart-beat of the baby could be heard.
- A general ultrasound test may be recommended by the doctor towards the end of the fifth month of pregnancy.
Diet during the fifth month of pregnancy
Healthy and balanced diet is very important throughout the pregnancy. During the fifth month of pregnancy, you will feel all the more hungry. Eat in regular intervals and most importantly, make sure you include all the essential nutrients in your daily diet.
- Diet during the fifth month of pregnancy should be healthy and contain all essential nutrients such as Omega 3, vitamins, folic acid, iron, minerals, protein, calcium, and fiber.
- Your diet should include lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts, whole grain, milk, yogurt etc.
- Eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water to keep your bowel movements smooth.
- If the doctor has prescribed any supplements, then make sure to take them regularly.
Some of the major things that you must include in your diet plan are as follows:
Precautions during the fifth month of pregnancy
- Stay calm and do not stress yourself. Avoid sudden movements like standing up or sitting down as it may cause a drop in blood pressure resulting in dizziness or you may even faint.
- Include fiber-rich foods in your diet and drink lots of water to keep your bowel movements smooth and avoid constipation and later hemorrhoids.
- While sleeping, lie down on your left side and support yourself with pillows to have a minimum strain on your back muscles.
- Wear loose, clean, soft, cottony, comfortable, and light colored maternity clothes to keep yourself in a good mood and relaxed.
- Do some breathing and stretching exercises after consulting your doctor. Take small walks in the fresh air to keep yourself fit.
- Always maintain good posture to avoid straining your back muscles. Take breaks from regular sitting and walk a bit or lie down.
- Avoid lifting weights but in case the need arises and you have to, then use your quadriceps and biceps and not stress your center body.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking, even passive smoking is harmful to your little one.
- Steer clear of all your phobias and stay positive at all times. Listen to good soothing music and good motivational talks. You could even communicate with your baby as it can listen to you and would respond by kicking or some movement. This feeling is a great surreal experience and you would love and cherish these memories.
Reminders to keep in your mind
Here are the fifth-month pregnancy tips
The fifth month of pregnancy is a beautiful phase which marks the completion of half of your journey towards motherhood. Enjoy the quickening or small movements of your little one.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: Check on Amazon
Coozly Premium Lyte C Shaped Pregnancy Pillow with 100% NEWD Cotton Stretch Detachable Cover - Cyan BluePrice: INR 1,999.00Was: INR 2,999.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: INR 316.00Was: INR 395.00
Price: INR 399.00Was: INR 449.00
Price: INR 424.00Was: INR 500.00