This is the fourth month of the most beautiful journey to motherhood. This month is the beginning of the second trimester and by the end of the fourth month of pregnancy, you can feel the little movement of the baby. It is just like a faint tickle on the inside but the movement and feeling is just superb. It makes your pregnancy all the more real and creates a great memory.
Watch the comprehensive video on the 4-month pregnancy!
Fourth Month of Pregnancy
What to expect in the fourth month of pregnancy
You would experience various symptoms in the fourth month of pregnancy. But now nausea and morning sickness usually ends. The second trimester is mostly termed as the quiet months of pregnancy. In the fourth month of pregnancy you may expect:
Fatigue and breathlessness
You would continue feeling tired and exhausted all day long and also feel breathlessness with every progressing week. Take regular breaks and take short naps and slow down the pace.
Nausea and morning sickness
Usually, by the beginning of the fourth month of pregnancy, nausea and morning sickness stops but avoid eating greasy and junk food.
Food cravings and aversions
You would continue experiencing various food cravings and aversions throughout the pregnancy. Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
By the fourth month of pregnancy, there are fewer mood swings.
Heartburn, indigestion, and constipation
Uterus starts growing in the abdomen and presses stomach. During pregnancy, stomach valves get relaxed and the increasing pressure of the uterus on the stomach causes stomach juices to come upwards causing heartburns. Avoid oily and spicy food and take more fiber-rich food with more intake of fluids.
You will continue gaining weight and now your waistline slowly disappears. Uterus starts growing in the abdomen. Your belly grows in the fourth month of the pregnancy and baby bump is now clearly visible. You would look rounder with a small pot on your navel and a wider waist.
Your breasts become rounder, fuller and bigger, preparing for breastfeeding after delivery.
Some women may develop varicose veins in legs during the fourth month of pregnancy. Leg cramps, stuffy nose, and bleeding gums could be also experienced by some. Hair fall, dark patches on the skin can be seen.
Development of the baby during the fourth month of pregnancy
The little one or your baby grows very fast and by the end of the fourth month of pregnancy, all the baby parts are formed and are functional.
The little sound of happiness
Length of the baby: around 6 inches long
Weight of the baby: around 115 grams
Size of the baby: a big orange
Baby development during the fourth month of pregnancy
- Head starts growing and hair on the baby’s head start growing. Baby’s body is covered with fine hair called Lanugo.
- Eyes shift to the sides of the head and facial features develop. Neck gets longer and chin is also clearly formed.
- The musculoskeletal system develops and coordination between limbs also starts developing. Bones become denser.
- The circulatory system also starts working and the heart starts pumping blood.
- Kidneys also flush out toxins through urine which is passed out in amniotic fluid.
- The nervous system also develops and by the end of the fourth month of pregnancy, baby responses to external stimuli.
- Genitalia of the baby develop and can be now seen by an ultrasound test.
- Baby stretches, moves, sucks its fingers and can make funny faces and open its arms and legs.
What to expect at the doctor’s office
The Ob/Gyn (your doctor) would conduct various tests during the fourth month of pregnancy.
- Blood pressure and your weight will be checked and recorded.
- A Urine sample will be checked for proteins, sugar, RBC and WBC count or any bacteria.
- Heart-beat of the baby could be heard.
- A general ultrasound test may be recommended by the doctor.
- The doctor may do Quadruple Marker Screening Test (a blood test) to screen your baby for Down Syndrome and Amniocentesis test on your amniotic fluid.
Diet during the fourth month of pregnancy
Healthy and balanced diet is very important throughout the pregnancy. During the fourth month of pregnancy special care should be given on the quality of food and not quantity.
- Diet during the fourth month of pregnancy should be healthy and contain all essential nutrients such as Omega 3, folic acid, vitamins, iron, minerals, protein, calcium, and fiber.
- Your diet should include fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts, whole grain, milk, yogurt etc.
- Take folic acid supplements to avoid birth defects and if your doctor prescribes the vitamin supplement then take those also regularly.
Precautions during the fourth month of pregnancy
- Stay calm and relaxed and keep yourself away from stress. Slow down your pace and perform your daily activities carefully. Avoid sudden movements and jerks.
- Keep yourself hydrated and have fiber-rich healthy food to avoid indigestion and constipation problems.
- Take folic acid, vitamins, calcium, and iron-rich foods regularly as they are very important for the proper development of your baby.
- Sleep on the left side to ensure proper circulation for the developing baby. Support your body with soft pillows and keep the pillow between your legs to relieve back pain.
- Wear loose and comfortable large sized dresses. With progressing pregnancy, your belly grows so wear large sized, light colored soothing clothes.
- Do some breathing exercises and exercises after consulting physician. Keep yourself fit and active and don’t be lethargic.
- Take frequent breaks from work and take a short nap to keep you feeling good.
Reminders to keep in your mind
Here are the fourth-month pregnancy tips
The fourth month of pregnancy is a beautiful phase where you feel much better after the initial three months. In this month you experience the first movement of your baby filling with you the joy of a little one developing within you.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: INR 549.00Was: INR 1,299.00
Price: INR 999.00Was: INR 1,499.00
Price: INR 339.00Was: INR 400.00
Price: INR 316.00Was: INR 395.00