This is the second month of the most beautiful journey to motherhood. But along with feeling excited and happy, you must be also worried, anxious and nervous. Enjoy every moment of your second month of pregnancy.
You must have already made your first visit to your doctor. If not yet then you should consult your doctor in the second month of pregnancy and make regular visits every month thereafter until the end of your second trimester.
Watch the comprehensive video on the 2-month pregnancy!
Second Month Of Pregnancy
What to expect in the Second Month Of Pregnancy
You would experience various symptoms in the second month of pregnancy which is much similar to that of the first month of pregnancy. You may experience:
- You would feel tired and exhausted all day long.
Nausea and morning sickness
- You would feel the need to rush to the bathroom for vomit or gag any time of the day. Stay away from greasy and spicy food.
Food cravings and aversions
- You would have a desire for certain foods while the smell of certain foods may make you feel uneasy. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Due to many hormones in your body like hCG, progesterone, and estrogen, you may undergo frequent mood changes from being jubilant to sad and depressed or anxious.
- Uterus starts growing in size and is like the size of an orange during your second month of pregnancy and exerts more pressure on the bladder and thus urge for frequent urination.
Heartburn, indigestion, and constipation
- Hormones make the digestive system less effective and cause bloating, flatulence and constipation. Fiber-rich and green diet is recommended.
Tenderness in breasts
- Breasts become more tender and enlarged and small nodules may appear on the dark area around nipples.
Elevated body temperature
- Blood flow and blood volume increase in the body for the needs of the baby making you feel warmer.
- Some women experience the famous pregnancy glow as their skin becomes smooth. Gums become softer so dental hygiene is very important to avoid any infections.
Development of the baby during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
The little one now also known as a fetus starts growing and formation of various body parts starts.
The little sound of happiness
Length of the baby: about 2.54 cms or 1 inch.
The weight of the baby: about 9.45 grams.
Baby development during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
- Baby starts developing very fast during the second month of pregnancy. One-third part of its body forms the head.
- Facial features such as mouth, tongue, and nose begin to develop. Eyelids develop which remain closed. On the sides of the head, small buds grow to form the ear.
- First of all heart and the circulatory system develops in the second month of pregnancy and then liver, stomach and other parts of the digestive system are formed.
- Arms, limbs, toes, and toenails start to form.
- Brain and spinal cord formation also start.
- Genitals also begin to form like ovaries for female and testes for the male baby though not very clear at this time.
- By the end of the second month of pregnancy, most of the vital organs of the baby are functional.
- Baby starts a movement but you cannot feel it.
- There is no change in your belly size during the second month of pregnancy. You may feel bloated.
- Placenta also develops providing nourishment to the baby throughout pregnancy.
- Baby can be seen by ultrasonography and heartbeat could be heard through Doppler.
What to expect at the doctor’s office
If it is your first visit during your pregnancy then various tests would be conducted.
- Physical examination along with blood samples for determining blood type, iron deficiency, Rh factor, sexually transmitted diseases, genetic defects, etc. will be done.
- A urine sample will be checked for proteins, sugar, RBC and WBC count or any bacteria.
- Record of your weight and blood pressure would be maintained.
- History of any diseases and family’s health history would be recorded.
- Ultrasonography may be conducted.
- Doctors would discuss the care to be taken and provide necessary prenatal medications.
Diet during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
A healthy and balanced diet is very important for the healthy development of the foetus. Whatever the mother eats affects not only her body but also affects the baby also.
Diet to add during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
Some of the major things that you must include in your diet plan are as follows:
- Include whole grain foods, brans, and cereals.
- Limit your caffeine content.
- Increase the amount of calcium in your diet. And increase your dairy intake like milk, yoghurt, paneer etc.
- Increase protein intake by taking more legumes, pulses etc.
- Eat more leafy vegetables and fruits. Pay attention to fibre.
- Include Folic Acid and vitamins and minerals like zinc, iron, iodine etc. in your diet by including broccoli, dark green vegetables, and citrus fruits.
Diet to avoid during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
- Don’t eat food accounting for two people.
- Say completely “NO” to alcohol and Smoking.
- Limit your caffeine content.
- Stop eating greasy, spicy and junk food.
- Ban out bacteria.
Precautions during the Second Month Of Pregnancy
- Stay calm and relaxed both mentally and physically and keep yourself busy and in a positive state of mind.
- Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated to avoid constipation.
- Take your prenatal medications regularly.
- Do not take any painkillers or antibiotics without consulting your doctor.
- If you see vaginal bleeding then consult your physician as it could be due to miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic Pregnancy is when an embryo gets attached to the walls of the fallopian tubes instead of the uterus lining.
Reminders to keep in your mind
- Don’t forget to take prenatal vitamins and folic acid.
- Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, protein-rich diet, whole grains and fibre-rich food with high intake of calcium.
- Avoid greasy, spicy and junk food. Strict “NO” to alcohol and smoking.
Here is the Second Month Of Pregnancy tips
- Make sure to take your vitamin and folic acid. This is one of the most important things that you must follow.
- Go for a checkup to your doctor and get necessary tests done.
- Create some history details concerned with any disorders that you are suffering from.
- Eat healthy food and try to keep yourself positive and happy.
Pregnancy is an experience which you would cherish lifetime so take good care of your own self and your baby.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: INR 335.00Was: INR 395.00
Price: INR 380.00Was: INR 560.00
Sbe Pregnant Woman Maternity Support Corset Prenatal Care Athletic Bandage Girdle Postpartum Recovery Shapewear -XlargePrice: INR 899.00Was: INR 1,000.00