This is the third month of the most beautiful journey to motherhood. By now you must have settled on your new journey and well prepared to be a great mother. The third month of pregnancy is the right time to announce to the world the great news if you have not shared it already.
Visit your doctor for a general checkup for blood pressure, weight and urine sample and also undergo various tests to rule out the possibility of birth defects if any.
Watch the comprehensive video on the 3-month pregnancy!
Third Month of Pregnancy
What to expect in the Third Month Of Pregnancy
You would experience various symptoms in the third month of pregnancy but now you must be all settled with them. You may experience:
- You would continue feeling tired and exhausted all day long so take regular breaks and take short naps to keep yourself energized.
Nausea and morning sickness
- Morning sickness would be at the peak during this month but by the end of the third month of pregnancy, you would start feeling little better.
Food cravings and aversions
- You would experience various food cravings and aversions throughout the pregnancy. Eat a healthy and balanced diet and. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Due to so many hormones, you might be riding an emotional roller coaster. Do some meditation and listen to a soft melody to calm yourself.
- The uterus continues growing in size and exerts more pressure on the bladder so the urge for frequent urination continues in the third month of pregnancy.
Heartburn, indigestion, and constipation
- Increase in the progesterone hormone could cause indigestion and constipation. Include lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and fibre-rich food and also increase the intake of fluids.
- Some women may develop varicose veins in legs during the third month of pregnancy. The ever-increasing size of the uterus compresses blood vessels and thus slows down blood circulation. Increase in weight also exerts veins and causes swelling and thus varicose veins.
- Due to an increased level of estrogen, dilation of the cervix and vaginal walls, there is a slight increase in off-white mucus vaginal discharge. This prevents any infection to reach to the uterus through the vagina. Avoid douching otherwise it may cause infections or irritations.
- An insufficient supply of iron and potassium may be the reason for leg cramps in the night during pregnancy. Gentle exercises involving ankle and legs can help in avoiding cramps.
A backache and abdominal pain
- The ever-growing uterus stretches your ligaments and tendons and causes pain in the abdomen. Hormonal levels continuously change and thus cause back pain. Do some stretching and simple exercises to ease pain after consulting your doctor.
- Nasal lines get dried due to increased blood volume. It may cause swelling and inflammation to nasal lines causing a stuffy nose.
- You will gain weight by the end of the third month of pregnancy. The extra weight prepares you for pregnancy and breastfeeding. By the end of the third month of pregnancy, uterus grows nearly to the size of a grapefruit and covers the pelvic area.
Development of the baby during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
The little one or your baby grows very fast and its body parts start forming rapidly and become more conspicuous.
The little sound of happiness
Length of the baby: around 3.5 inches long.
The weight of the baby: around 42.5 grams.
Size of the baby: a ripe plum or a lime
Baby development during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
- Head looks larger as the brain starts developing. Hair follicles start developing. Neck starts taking shape.
- Transparent skin is formed and mouth develops with tongue and larynx. The upper lip is formed and jaws start to form. Eyelids remain closed and protect eyes. Ears and nose become visible.
- Fingerprints are formed and the little baby starts sucking its thumb and gets hiccups.
- Heartbeats can be heard clearly by electronic machine.
- The musculoskeletal system starts getting organized and the baby starts a movement in the third month of pregnancy. It kicks, turns and twitches which can be felt very little.
- Bone marrow starts producing white blood cells which keep the baby healthy.
- Pancreas starts secreting insulin.
- Intestines start contracting and relaxing.
- Kidney starts functioning and starts excreting urine in the bladder.
What to expect at the doctor’s office
The doctor would conduct various tests during the third month of pregnancy.
- Blood pressure and your weight will be checked and recorded.
- A urine sample will be checked for proteins, sugar, RBC and WBC count or any bacteria.
- Heart-beat of the baby could be heard.
- First-trimester screening tests like Nuchal translucency (NT), an ultrasound test, maternal serum (blood) tests, Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) are conducted to detect any abnormality or risks to the foetus.
Diet during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
- A healthy and balanced diet is very important throughout the pregnancy. Whatever the mother eats or does affects not only her body but also affects the baby also.
- Diet during the third month of pregnancy should be healthy and contain all essential nutrients such as Omega 3, folic acid, vitamins, minerals, protein, calcium, and fibre.
- Your diet should include fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts, whole grain, milk, yoghurt etc.
- Take folic acid supplements to avoid birth defects and if your doctor prescribes a vitamin supplement then take those also regularly.
Diet to add during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
- Include Folic Acid and vitamins and minerals like zinc, iron, iodine etc. in your diet by including broccoli, dark green vegetables, and citrus fruits.
- Eat more leafy vegetables and fruits. Pay attention to fibre.
- Include whole grain foods, brans, and cereals.
- Increase the amount of calcium in your diet and increase your daily intake like milk, yoghurt, paneer etc.
- Increase protein intake by taking more legumes, pulses etc.
Diet to avoid during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
- Don’t eat food accounting for two people.
- Say completely “NO” to alcohol and smoking.
- Limit your caffeine content.
- Stop eating greasy, spicy and junk food.
- Ban out bacteria.
Precautions during the Third Month Of Pregnancy
- Stay calm and relaxed both mentally and physically and keep yourself surrounded by happy people and listen to soothing music.
- Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated to avoid constipation.
- Take your prenatal medications regularly.
- Maintain proper hygiene of yourself and surroundings. Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly. Keep your vagina clean and dry. Avoid bacterial infections.
- Get a dental checkup to avoid gum bleeding which becomes soft due to hormones.
- Enrol yourself in childbirth education to cope up with stress, anxiety, and fears.
- Do not lift any heavy weight or do any stressful activity.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and drugs totally.
- Avoid oily, greasy and junk food otherwise it would trigger gas, indigestion, and nausea.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes and avoid tight clothes.
- Wear comfortable (flat) footwear.
Reminders to keep in your mind
- Remember to take prenatal vitamins and folic acid.
- Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, protein-rich diet, whole grains and fibre-rich food with high intake of calcium.
- Avoid greasy, spicy and junk food. Strict “NO” to alcohol and smoking. Do not lift heavy weight. Wear loose, comfortable clothes and footwear.
Here are the Third-Month Pregnancy Tips
The third month of pregnancy is very crucial and by this time it gives shape to your pregnancy. By the end of the first trimester, nausea, morning sickness, and fatigue all will end usually and you look forward to a great motherhood.
- Make sure to take your vitamin and folic acid. This is one of the most important things that you must follow.
- Go for a checkup to your doctor and get the necessary tests done.
- Eat healthy and balanced food and take proper rest.
- Keep yourself active and happy and listen to soothing music and indulge in activities that destress you.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: INR 499.00Was: INR 1,849.00
Price: Out of stock