Post pregnancy bleeding is completely normal. The reason why this happens is that of the vaginal bleeding after delivery. The discharge after birth is quite natural and this is what we call – lochia. With the help of this process, the body releases out all the extra and unwanted tissues and blood cells from the uterus. Talking of bleeding, it is heavy during the first few days. So, if the vaginal postpartum bleeding continues to happen for more than a few days, it’s time to contact a doctor.
Vaginal Postpartum Bleeding
Postpartum Bleeding duration
The postpartum bleeding is likely to occur for three to four days after giving birth. The blood will be bright red in colour and there are several postpartum guides that can support the theory. The bleeding after birth is as heavy as during the postpartum bleeding period.
Within three days, the postpartum bleeding after birth turns out to become waterier and pink. This postpartum bleeding after birth is going to continue for a good time.
Tampons – helps or not?
Bleeding after delivery doesn’t usually requires you to use tampons. According to various other postpartum guides and postpartum care, the use of tampons is strictly abrupted for around 6 weeks after postpartum bleeding.
Use of tampons will increase the chances of vaginal births and also widens up the risks in the uterus during vaginal bleeding after pregnancy.
Calling the doctor – symptoms
When there is regular heavy postpartum bleeding after birth, there are chances of postpartum bleeding to occur. A total of 5% of pregnant ladies suffer because of this. The condition mostly strikes within 24 hours after the baby is born.
Sometimes the issue can cause a drop in the blood pressure. This can also result in death, if not looked after. So, this calls for medical treatment.
Here are the symptoms that you need to look for and consult your doctor
- Blood Clots
- Blurred Vision
- Increased Heartbeat
- Excess Bleeding
Causes of Vaginal Postpartum Bleeding
There are quite a few things that are responsible for vaginal bleeding after pregnancy. One of the most common reason for this to occur is uterine atony. During this phase, the uterus takes place of the placenta to stop the bleeding. This is what results in heavy vaginal bleeding after pregnancy most of the time.
Here are some of the primary causes
- the baby is more than 8 Pounds and 13 Ounces
- the mother gives birth to more than one child at a time
- labour for quite a time
- gave birth many times before
Other causes that can result in the problem are
- Tearing down of the uterus during labour – Uterus Rupture.
- Postpartum bleeding is more in normal delivery.
- Tearing down of the cervix.
- General anaesthesia.
- Issues affecting placenta
Treatment for Postpartum Bleeding
For the treatment of postpartum bleeding, there are several treatments available. The reason behind vaginal postpartum bleeding will decide the best and effective treatment for you.
Treatments offered by the doctor
- Massaging of the uterus.
- Medicines that will help in the contraction of the uterus.
- Get rid of placenta pieces from your uterus.
- Remove the uterus surgically which is also known as Hysterectomy.
- Shot of medicine that takes care of the vaginal bleeding after pregnancy.
- Blood Transfusion – to supply the blood that was lost.
- Performing Laparotomy – Opening of the abdomen to find the reason behind postpartum bleeding after delivery.
- Use of Bakri Balloon to slower down the postpartum bleeding after delivery process.
Postpartum Bleeding and postpartum care
During pregnancy, the body goes across a lot of changes. This never goes off, even after your baby visits the world. After a vaginal bleeding after pregnancy, here is what you should be expecting.
- Make sure sitting on a padded ring or pillow.
- Keep seated in a warm bath to cover the portion of buttocks and hips.
- If there is heavy postpartum bleeding after birth, make sure to contact your doctor.
- Use a soaking pad for not more than an hour.
- These, also called after-pains, are also the reason for the pain and contractions that strike after a few days of delivery.
- The release of oxytocin during breastfeeding is the reason behind after-pains.
The preventive measures
It’s almost impossible to avoid postpartum bleeding after birth and even avoid postpartum bleeding after delivery. However, proper postpartum care can help you in comforting yourself and taking down the embarrassment.
- Use pads for the first six weeks after postpartum bleeding after delivery. Never use tampons. Using tampons cause several genital issues.
- Wearing your favourite clothes right after delivery won’t be such a bright idea. So, manage using your old clothes and underwear.
So, here are all the details regarding Vaginal Postpartum Bleeding, bleeding after delivery, postpartum care, and postpartum guide. However, it is advised to be on the safe side in case there is more than usual postpartum bleeding after delivery. Make sure to follow a proper postpartum guide and take proper postpartum care for getting the best solution for vaginal bleeding after pregnancy.
“Enjoy your Path to Mom. Relish every moment!”
Disclaimer: All content on this website, including medical opinion and other health-related information, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.